#Paws4Purple: Important Canine Epilepsy Resources
November is Epilepsy Awareness Month. According to the Epilepsy Foundation, “Epilepsy is a condition of the brain causing seizures. A seizure is a disruption of the electrical communication between neurons.” As with humans, dogs can have seizures and also be diagnosed with epilepsy.
If your dog has a seizure, do you know what to do? First thing, after making sure the area is clear so your dog cannot get hurt while seizing, is to call your vet. Next, become informed about seizures in dogs and Canine Epilepsy so you can have an in-depth conversation with your vet about anti-seizure medications, supplements, nutritional changes, possible triggers, items for an Epi First Aid Kit, and alternative treatments for your dog.
Today, there are some excellent resources available to become better acquainted with Canine Epilepsy and seizures in dogs. #Paws4Purple is a fairly new not-for-profit program partnership between The Anita Kaufmann Foundation, global sponsor for Purple Day® and World Epilepsy Day™ and the FiveSibes™ #LiveGibStrong K-9 Epilepsy Awareness & Educational Campaign. The partnership was established on Purple Day®, March 26, 2018, in an effort to help educate and inform the public about dogs living with seizures, and to provide important reputable resources to help serve as a guide for those caring for a dog with Canine Epilepsy, while emphasizing FiveSibes #LiveGibStrong’s motto that dogs can—and do—live happy lives with Canine Epilepsy.
Free #Paws4Purple Informational Materials
If you are with a veterinary office, ER clinic, rescue, grooming business, doggie day care, canine school, dog park, or work for a school district, police or fire department, or any other organization, municipality, or group that would like a supply of #Paws4Purple flyers and/or bookmarks to hand out, simply Email firstname.lastname@example.org and put #Paws4Purple in the subject line and let the organization know where to send them. They are free of charge, but a donation to The Anita Kaufmann Foundation is greatly appreciated. Digital downloads are also available at: http://purpledayeveryday.org/paws-4-purple/
Additional Resources on Canine Epilepsy:
- FiveSibes #LiveGibStrong K-9 Epilepsy Library – https://fivesibes.com/k-9-epilepsy-awareness.html
- Blu's Tales Foundation on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/BlusTaleFoundation/
- Canine Epilepsy Resources/Home of the Epil-K9 List – www.canine-epilepsy.com
- Canine Epilepsy Network – www.canine-epilepsy.net
- Dr. Karen Becker, Mercola Healthy Pets, What Causes Seizures in Pets Video – https://youtu.be/ZVnaIujDzqE
- EPIc Dog Tales: Heartfelt Stories About Amazing Dogs Living & Loving Life With Canine Epilepsy Book, written by Dorothy Wills-Raftery – www.arctichousepublishing.com
- FiveSibes™ “The Sibe Vibe” Purple Day® Show: The Important Link Between Zinc Deficiencies and Seizures – http://dogworksradio.com/the-sibe-vibe-presents-margit-maxwell-2/
- FiveSibes™ “The Sibe Vibe” Talking Canine Epilepsy with Dr. Arnold Rugg of Kingston Animal Hospital – http://dogworksradio.com/the-sibe-vibe-presents-dr-arnold-rugg/
- FiveSibes™ “The Sibe Vibe” Talking Seizures in Dogs with Dr. Karen R. Muñana of North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine – http://dogworksradio.com/the-sibe-vibe-presents-dr-karen-munana/
- FiveSibes™ Purple Day® for Canine Epilepsy Awareness Video – https://youtu.be/4_R_v99QnDY
- North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine Companion Animal Epilepsy – www.go.ncsu.edu/epilepsyresearch
- Olivia’s Quick Sniff eBook Series on Canine Epilepsy - https://knottytoysforgooddogs.blog/ebooks/
- Royal Veterinary College University of London – www.rvc.ac.uk (type “epilepsy” in search box)
- The Epi Guardian Angels – www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com
- The Wally Foundation-Canine Epilepsy on Facebook (for possible financial assistance for medications) – https://www.facebook.com/thewallyfoundation/
- The American Kennel Club (AKC): Can CBD Oil Help Dogs With Epilepsy? The AKC Health Foundation Investigates - https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/cbd-oil-for-dog-seizures/
- Toby’s Foundation – http://www.tobysfoundation.org
- Update on the AKC Health Foundation Epilepsy Initiative - https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/dog-breeding/update-akc-canine-health-foundation-epilepsy-initiative/
- What’s Wrong With Gibson? Learning About K-9 Epilepsy Book for Children – www.ArcticHousePublishing.com
Dorothy Wills-Raftery is an award-winning photojournalist and author of EPIC Dog Tales: Heartfelt Stories About Amazing Dogs Living & Loving Life With Canine Epilepsy; the FiveSibes™ Tales children’s books: What’s Wrong With Gibson? Learning About K-9 Epilepsy and Getting Healthy With Harley: Learning About Health & Fitness; and Buddy, the Christmas Husky~Based On A True Holiday Miracle books (ArcticHouse Publishing), as well as the FiveSibes.com, an online encyclopedia for the Siberian Husky breed and Canine Epilepsy information, as well as her international award-winning FiveSibes blog, based on the lives of her five Siberian Huskies. Her work has also appeared in American Pet Magazine, Ruff Drafts, The Sled Dogger, and Hudson Valley Paw Print Magazine. Dorothy is the writer and host of "The Sibe Vibe” Dog Works Radio show.
Dorothy is a 9-time Dog Writers of America Association “Excellence” nominee, winning the prestigious Maxwell Medallion in 2017 and 2016 for her writing, photography, and design. Her book EPIC Dog Tales: Heartfelt Stories About Amazing Dogs Living & Loving Life With Canine Epilepsy received the 2018 Independent Press Award for “Excellence” in the Reference Book category and 2017 NYC Big Book Award for “Excellence” in the Animal/Pet book category. Dorothy was also named “Best Author” in 2015 & 2016 by Hudson Valley Magazine and all four books named “Best in Print” by American Pet Magazine, An official International Purple Day® for Epilepsy Ambassador since 2012 and a volunteer case manager for The Wally Foundation-Canine Epilepsy, Dorothy is the creator of the FiveSibes #LiveGibStrong K-9 Epilepsy Awareness campaign and partnered with The Anita Kaufmann Foundation for #Paws4Purple Project, both inspired by her own epileptic Husky, Gibson. In addition to her Siberian Huskies, Dorothy shares her home with her husband, daughter, son-in-law, and grandson. You can follow Dorothy and her FiveSibes on Facebook at FiveSibes: Siberian Husky K9 News & Reviews, on Google + , Twitter, and Instagram(@FiveSibesMom).